Monday, September 29, 2008

Slow flow MoJo....

I got back behind the wheel... or the needle as it were... and start a new project a few days ago.

I decided to try my hand at my first BurdaStyle pattern.
I chose the 6012 Kasia skirt I downloaded for free from their pattern page.


Because it was my first printed pattern, and I wasn't sure about the sizing, I decided to do a test run with some wearable muslin I got down at Fulton Fabrics.

I went there looking for muslin, but they ran out. So, I went with a heavy/bottom weight woven fabric instead.... not bad for 2.50$ a yard.


Please keep in mind, this was a wearable MUSLIN. So never mind the contrasting pocket lining or black zipper.... like the song says, you've got to use what you got, to get what you want.

I even put my newly acquired sloper making skills (and I use the term 'skills' VERY loosely) and made a skirt sloper to see how much I had to adjust the pattern.
I was very proud of myself... thank me very much!



The skirt worked as a bit of a booster shoot... I've already pulled out a few more patterns and fabs to make my next few projects...

I really like this simple shift top from Vogue... "Very easy"... hmph, we'll see....

I also need to make a heavier weight version of the M5701 Dress. I got this black poplin fabric a few months ago...

....I'm on the fence about the fabric, but I love this dress!

I'm planning on doing this wrap skirt next.
But I cant decide which fab to use.

I'm also on the hunt for a pattern for another Inspiration Game Piece.

I've been carrying around these mag pages in my look book for the last several weeks.


Then when I went to Fulton Fabrics looking for muslin I found this lovely print in a poly-satin shantung fabric. It has a really soft drap and a very subtle shine... and it was only 3bucks a yard!!

Now I just need to find a pattern.



Holla!

5 comments:

Lashell said...

I'm also working on the Kasia skirt. What I did was measure my side seam across my backside and my side seam across my front. I cut out a 44 back and a 42 front and it came out perfect> I can't wait to see your skirt in the fashion fabric.

cheryl said...

I love the inspiration skirts! Check out the Marie skirt on Burdastyle. That might do the trick! (Free as well, I believe)

MsMica...Sewnista in the making said...

OMG!!! It's perfect!! Thanks for the head's up Cheryl!

Antoinette said...

I love the Kasia skirt pattern! Your muslin is so well done. Did you find the directions OK? How does it fit? How does it feel to wear?

It looks like a pattern that would do well with some stretchier fabric -- not a knit, but a woven with lycra -- and not figure in much ease. What's your take on that?

MsMica...Sewnista in the making said...

As a matter of fact, I pulled out some stretch cotton twill to make the next one.

The fit is pretty good. It’s a tad bit tight in right at the hip. But I think if I tapered the seam allowance a bit on both sides (from 5/8" to maybe 1/2") it would be perfect.

I also think the waist could do with a little tapering at the sides too. You can kind of tell that the waist band kind of stands out on the form. It doesn’t really look that way on me, but I'm still thinking of just undoing both side seams down to below the hip and just sewing it up again.

The directions were okay. There were a few sketchy spots, especially with the various waistband pieces. There were 2 sets of front and back pieces tha were almost identical…. but not.

I got mixed up and had to cut them twice! I just couldn’t figure out which was which.

But overall the skirt is nice. The muslin is really just a cheap fashion fabric, so I can totally wear it. I was thinking I would wear it once to see how it held up.