Monday, May 11, 2009

What tha....!?!?

... sooooo, I was traipsing about the interweb today looking for help (((again!!))) on getting a better fit with my store bought patterns, when I came across this gem of a site....

PatternMaker is a CAD-based program that allows you to make custom clothing patterns from any computer. Easy to use, type in your personal measurements into
the interface, and from that, produce a custom clothing pattern designed to fit uniquely you!
.... and then I saw these magic little words.... Try. Before. You. Buy...... ((please hear Kyle's from mother, SouthPark, when I say))... What? WWhat! WWHHAATTT!?!

They actually have a basic fitted bodice and pant sloper in their free trial version! With a long sleeve! And a choice of bust darts or princess seams!! And multiple collar choices!! Again I say, WHAT THA?!?!

Now, some of you may know by now that one of my favorite things in the whole world is the word FREE, so I came right home and downloaded the software.... and finished the evening with this:
... amazing.

Upon further inspection, the site offers these groupings of very basic pre-designed (...and I use this next term in the broadest sense possible) 'fashion' patterns for women, men, kids and they're all about 30bucks a pop. Seeing as most of the sets have 7-10 different bodies (the women's bottoms pattern set as something like 15-20!) Its kind of a bargain. Especially when you consider that most styles out now are just nicely embellished versions of the same basic shapes.

I have to tweak some of my measurements and adjust the seam allowance, but for the most part.... SCORE!!


Holla!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Cool! Do you think it would be worthwhile for a beginner who doesn't know how to embellish or alter patterns yet? Or should I get my sewing chops up to speed before trying something like this?

MsMica said...

I actually use it more as a fitting tool, more than as a template to make new patterns.

I took a pattern making class last summer and I found that the sloper did help me judge what kind of adjustments I needed to make... I will say that for the most part I still sew the larger size and fit the garment AFTER I sew it up. But, I know that fitting prior to cutting/sewing is a better way to do things…. Its just a learning curve that needs to be gotten over.

Anyway, Threads mag has a really good article about using slopers to help fit commercial patterns.
The link is... http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4498/the-merits-of-a-basic-fitting-pattern

You might also want to pick up their spring issue that's all about fitting... it even comes with a DVD.
Mica

poplin said...

You may be well on your way to drafting something from Mrs Stylebook (that is, if you ever want to). That sloper looks very similar to MSB's contoured sloper!

Antoinette said...

I'm not sure if this software has been reviewed a bunch on patternreview.com, but if not, a lot of people would appreciate learning from your experience in that archive!

What a dream that the bodice sloper fit so well! The possibilities are exciting.

MsMica said...

I'll have to look into PR and see if anyone has reviewed/purchased it... I can say that one of the biggest caveats into the free version is that you have to re-enter your measurements every time you create a new pattern.

Of course, I didn't write down the measurements I used the first time I created the pattern, on top of the fact that I was kind of measuring on the fly! So I had to start all over again last night.
I ended up having to re-measure 4 or 5 different points multiple times because the pattern dimensions for the front bodice calculated drastically different from the first version.

Anyway, I think I finally came up with something. But of course, I won't know until I piece it together and cut it out.. AGAIN!

But, overall, it's still a positive experience... and I wrote all the measurements down this time!!