Sunday, August 3, 2008

Getting my feet wet...

Yesterday I decided to tackle the M5701, in effort to see how to go about altering it to make the D&G Inspiration Game piece...

I decided to make the pattern straight out, with no changes, so I could get a feel of the fit and how all the pieces went together...

So, after some creative pinning (I was afraid I was going to run out of fabric) on the black Italian linen I got at the Paron's East closing sale... and more than a few head scratches at the directions...


I ended up with this... Not bad.

I didn't do any fit alterations (with the exception of taking in the side seams, from right under the pocket down to the hem, to give it a more tapered look) but I think it looks pretty good.
It fits fairly close along the bust. But I don't think I'll do any FBAs. When adding the back zipper, I think it will make getting it off and on infinitely easier...


And this fine medium weight linen was giving me fits! It frays like crazy, and as I found out in the most heart breaking way, the notches are prone to tearing.... I had to patch up this beauty right after I tried it on (before I added the armhole bands).


I was reaching around to pull the dress up over my head and heard the softest, gentlest RRRRIIIPPPPPPPP!

Sigh. Really?!?



Overall, I really like the pattern, and will be making this one again, straight and altered to look like the D&G.





Holla!

2 comments:

Antoinette said...

You know, this dress looks just amazing on you! I love linen -- must feel great to wear on hot days. I can't wait to see this with the pattern alterations you want to make in your final fashion fabric!

MsMica...Sewnista in the making said...

Thanks Antoinette.I was rather happy with the final result.
I think I'll try to wear it to work tomorrow and get some better pictures.
I think if I take up the extra fabric (used for the four back pleats) in two darts, I can get a closer fit in the back with the zipper closer.
I think I will use wearable muslin one more time to make it with alterations (I was thinking about a lighter weight, dark denim with a bright colored zipper.)
Plus, that'll give me more time to actually find some printed fashion fabric for fall.