Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sunshine on a cloudy day...

... I had all these grand plans about all the errands I was going to run today... rrrright.

When I finally got out of bed... around 11... and after I spent a few hours web-surfing... I decided I should finish at least one of the projects that have been languishing on the cutting table for a few weeks...
Built By Wendy/Simplicity 3835... Come on dddoowwwnnnnn!!
I was actually surprised at how simple and easy this shirt is. If you've read any of my previous post, you might remember that this is the blouse I did my first FBA on... bleehck!...

But, dealing with the extra fabric on the side was a cinch. I didn't want to do a dart, so I just eased/gathered the extra fab at the bust ... I took me twice as long to finished this top that it probably should have. Because after seeing the great work Toy did with her bias tape maker over at Trinilove and seeing Antoinette finish an entire dress with french seams over at Cleavergirl, I was inspired to take a little extra time on this one.
I really loved the sleeve detail on this pattern too... it has these really cute self-ties at the cuff...

Although I LOVED this color, finding thread to match proved impossible. So, I also had my first encounter with invisible thread...
I wont say it's my favorite thing to use, but its certainly good in a pinch.


The overall fit could do with a lot of tweaking, which I will do before I cut any quality fabric to make this again. But, make it again, I will!


Holla!

7 comments:

Adrienne said...

I love the ties on the sleeves! I've never used invisible thread. Very interesting!

Antoinette said...

Go on! I love this color -- why is yellow fabric for apparel so hard to find??? Good thing you found some. The ties look great, too. Good choice! Do those sleeves fit you OK? I found mine to be a bit snug.

MsMica...Sewnista in the making said...

You hit it right on the money! I forgot to mention that I did a minor sleeve alteration, but only to the cuff, because I knew it was going to be too tight on the forearm. But, it was only a 'triangle' split from the cuff up to the apex of the shoulder. It gave me a bit of extra room thru the bicep. Next time I'm cutting the sleeve completely in two and spreading it at least an inch on top of the 1.5" I already added.

renee cidell said...

Gorgeous color and a beautiful finish!

MsMica...Sewnista in the making said...

Thank you!.... I have the same fabric but in a really pretty rose... ahem... we wont discuss the tragedy that befell THAT particular piece of fabric...((ssiigghhh))

Lashell said...

Beautiful top. I'm still trying to figure out my bias maker. I can't wait to see the top made up in your fashion fabric.

MsMica...Sewnista in the making said...

Thanks Lashell... You would know about beautiful tops - I still love that white top you made a few months ago... I need to add that pattern to my stash.
And the bias maker is easy once you get the hang of it... I just cut a ton of strips one afternoon and just kept at it until they started coming out consistently.
(I have a 1/2" ‘double fold’ maker... I find that cutting the bias strips a 1 1/8" wide works best for me)