Sunday, June 29, 2008

The dress so nice....

... I made it twice.....

Making this Debra Moises dress for the second time took me all of 2 hours.... 45 minutes cutting it out late Friday night (... and the phrase 'cutting it out' might be too strong since it's essentially just a square and a rectangle, I really just cut the fabric in two pieces...didnt even use the pattern….) And an hour sewing it up the next morning...

Ahem.... I know what you’re thinking ... 45+60 = 1 hour and 45 minutes....((cough)) ... well.... see...((inhale))......what had happened was...((exhale))...... I kind of sewed the skirt on to the bodice backwards... ((sniff)) and inside out.... so it took me some time to pick the threads and sew it back up again.... (and, I must add, it only took 2 hours because I used a few different (slow sewing) decorative stitches at some of the seams.)

I did make a few modifications to this version though...
.... First I made it in a woven fabric instead of the recommended knit. .... I halved the width of the bodice... since it was woven instead of knit, I found it was just too much fabric bunched up around the waist.

.... I took the extra length of fabric I cut from the bodice and supersized the length of the ties. I don’t know if I didn’t buy the same amount of fab this time or what, but the length of the bodice was not nearly enough to wrap and tie like the knit version.
.... I also did my first 'merrow' stitch on the hem... sooooo stoked that my machine has 3 different widths for this handy little edge finish usually reserved for overlocks and sergers.
(I have a feeling one of my next projects (V2850) will put this handy dandy ‘satin stitch’ to the test!)

Overall, I think it came out great and I plan on wearing this at the earliest available opportunity.


Holla!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you need to put this one on so I can see how it looks,lol
another great dress, that vogue top is very beautiful too

MsMica said...

I wore the dress today and posted a pic... its cute... but I don't know if it will be put in regular rotation... time will tell.

David belton said...

123.hp.com/oj4656