Friday, June 13, 2008

The Inspiration Game....

It's almost like the minute I started sewing again almost every garment I look at seems so 'simple' to make.... I constantly hear myself saying "...OMG! that's just a basic shell dress with about a dozen layers of ruffles added...." or "... MAN! I just saw that same silhouette in a pattern that was on sale at Simplicity for, like, 4.99!!"

It's become almost like a game now, I'm constantly perusing magazines looking for pieces that I like that can be dissected or morphed from similar paper pattern bodies... and, on more than a few occassons, I have gotten caught recklessly eyeballin' a random passer-by, trying to get a quick look at a design detail...

I've started calling it 'The Inspiration Game'... I find a garment, say, like this fabulous dress that was on the cover of this Thursday's WWD (6/12/08). Then I start combing my standard pattern haunts SewingPatterns.com, McCall's Pattern Co., etc. until i find likely suspects.... like say, this little ditty... I think the 'A' version is a spot-on match for the top half of the WWD cover dress... and maybe I can make the skirt from this one... since I already own this pattern, I can take the bottom pattern piece and add a few inches to the width and length.... and well, what do you know....
... this

plus a piece of this...

equals....

.... well, I mean, with a little imagination..... I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS AN EXACT SCIENCE!!!!

But, you have to admit, its more than a little fun... I mean isn't this why so many of us started sewing in the first place. To be better able to put our own stamp on RTW... or to bring 'high' style down to our own particular price ranges.

No comments: